GelRed Nucleic Acid Gel Stain Biotium
GelRed Nucleic Acid Gel Stain Biotium can be used to stain dsDNA, ssDNA or RNA in agarose gels via either precast or post gel staining. GelRed can also be used to stain dsDNA, ssDNA or RNA in polyacrylamide gels via post gel staining. GelRed is also compatible with downstream DNA manipulations such as restriction digest, sequencing, and cloning. For detailed protocols for use, please download the GelRed Product Information Sheet. Also see our GelRed and GelGreen Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
A series of safety tests have confirmed that GelRed™ is noncytotoxic, nonmutagenic and nonhazardous at concentrations well above the working concentrations used in gel staining. As a result, GelRed™ can be safely disposed of down the drain or in regular trash, providing convenience and reducing cost in waste disposal. For detailed test results, you may download theGelRed/GelGreen™ Safety Report.
For new users, Biotium recommends GelRed 10,000X in water (catalog no. 41005), our latest formulation that eliminates the hazards of handling DMSO for better safety. We continue to offer GelRed 10,000X solution in DMSO for established users of GelRed in DMSO who do not wish to change their laboratory protocols. The performance and stability of GelRed 10,000X is comparable in both the water and DMSO formulations. For your convenience, we also offer ready-to-use GelRed 3X in water (catalog no. 41001) that can be directly used for post-electrophoresis gel staining. For customers who look for large pack size, we offer a cost-saving bulk pack size of 10 mL. Also seeGelGreen Nucleic Acid Gel Stain, a safer replacement for SYBR® gel stains, which is compatible with visible light excitation.
- Safer than EB: Shown by the Ames test and other tests to be nonmutagenic and noncytotoxic
- Easy disposal: Passed environmental safety tests for direct disposal down the drain or in regular trash
- Ultra-sensitive: Much more sensitive than EtBr and SYBR® Safe
- Extremely stable: Available in water, stable at room temperature for long-term storage and microwavable
- Simple to use: Very simple procedures for precast or post-electrophoresis gel staining
- Compatible with a standard UV transilluminator : Replaces EtBr with no optical setting change
- Compatible with downstream applications : Compatible with gel purification, restriction digest, sequencing and cloning
Download the GelRed & GelGreen Flyer for more information.
Please also see our EvaGreen® dye, a breakthrough nucleic acid dye ideally suited for quantitative real-time PCR (qPCR). By incorporating a smart “release-on-demand” DNA-binding technology, EvaGreen™ has low PCR inhibition while exhibiting superior sensitivity. Similar to GelRed™, EvaGreen™ is non-toxic, non-mutagenic, and remarkably stable.
GelRed and its uses are covered by US patent numbers 7960498, 7803943, and 8232050. SYBR is trademark of Molecular Probes, Inc.